A MAN was rescued by firefighters from his smoke-filled flat yesterday.
The 50-year-old suffered from breathing in smoke after his microwave oven burst into flames at his flat in Halifax Old Road, Birkby.
Firefighters from Huddersfield and Elland went to the incident at about 2.20pm.
A spokesman at Huddersfield fire station said that when firefighters arrived at King Cliffe Flats they found smoke pouring under the door of a fourth-floor flat.
They roused the man inside and led him to safety.
Other residents had already left the building.
A fire was discovered in a microwave oven in the kitchen and the building was heavily smoke- logged.
The man was treated with oxygen at the scene, then taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary suffering from breathing in smoke.