A blaze which ripped through a Dewsbury flats complex on Sunday is believed to have been started by a carelessly discarded cigarette.

Fears that the fire in Ashworth Close may have been arson have now been ruled out.

Det Insp Andy Parr, of Kirklees CID, said police were no longer looking into the cause.

“We are told by the fire investigators that it was probably started by a discarded cigarette in a bin though there is not much evidence remaining due to the damage caused,” he said.

“There will be no further investigation by the police.”


Firefighters tackle the blaze
Firefighters tackle the blaze
 

Fire crews from Dewsbury, Batley, Mirfield and Wakefield were called out just before 5pm and arrived to find the building well alight.

Flames burst through the roof void and affected five flats in the block. Three were left badly damaged.

Tenants in the block, run by Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing, fled their homes and Kirklees Council’s emergency plan swung into operation. No one was hurt.

Housing officials were working with the tenants forced out.