TWO teenagers were moments away from disaster in the early hours of yesterday morning.
The pair had lit a bonfire in the front garden of their home in New Hey Road, Oakes, and were attempting to burn an old settee and armchair at about 12.05am.
But they were unaware how close the fire was to a gas box, according to fire fighters.
When the paintwork of a nearby car started to blister, the fire service was called to the scene, near The Bay Horse.
Huddersfield firefighters doused the flames just in time before the fire spread to the gas container.