TEENAGERS sparked a fire alert after trying to smoke rats out of the ground.
A neighbour called the fire service when his house, on Wharf Street in Savile Town, Dewsbury, started to fill with smoke on Friday evening.
The youngsters had started a fire in a hole in next door’s garden in a bid to force the rodents out.
Smoke seeped into the neighbour’s extension and firefighters initially thought there was a fire in the basement before tracing the source of the smoke back to the boys who were aged about 14.
The crew, from Dewsbury fire station, spent about 90 minutes dealing with the incident.
Watch manager Graham Calcraft said: “Children shouldn’t play with fire. This could easily have spread.”