A HOMOSEXUAL ‘groomed’ a 14-year-old boy over the internet before bringing him back to Brighouse for sex.

Now Jon Sparkes, 31, has been jailed for a total of three years.

He has also been ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register.

Sparkes, 31, engaged in consensual sexual activity with the youngster at his home in Dyson Street after he had travelled to Scunthorpe for a pre-arranged meeting with the teenager.

Prosecutor Kitty Taylor told Bradford Crown Court yesterday that Sparkes and the boy, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, began communicating via an internet chatroom in January.

She said there was also mobile phone contact between the pair during a two-week period before they agreed to a meeting which the prosecution alleged had been instigated by Sparkes.

Mrs Taylor said prior to the meeting Sparkes knew that the boy was only 14 and it was clear that they had discussed what they meant to do in terms of sexual contact when they met.

She said the teenager told Sparkes he was gay and a virgin.

“It is clear that the boy was intrigued and wanted to meet up and have a homosexual experience and he says quite candidly that he agreed with the arrangement and was quite happy with it,” said Mrs Taylor.

Although the boy’s parents were unaware of what was happening the youngster had told a school friend who kept in contact with him by phone.

After picking up the boy in his van Sparkes drove him back to his Brighouse home where almost immediately he instigated sexual contact.

“The prosecution put this case in this way. Although (the boy) was consenting to what took place and was fully aware and anticipated what was to happen due to his age and dawning sexuality he was vulnerable and lacking in experience and maturity”, said Mrs Taylor.

“He was clearly trusting and unaware of the potential, and I stress potential, danger he placed himself in by going with a stranger far away from his home without the knowledge of his parents.”

The concerned school friend who had been texting the boy eventually told a relative about what was happening and she contacted the police.

Mrs Taylor said the boy himself had by then decided that Sparkes should take him back to Scunthorpe which he did.

After the boy was dropped off the police were able to track Sparkes’ vehicle back to his home in Brighouse and he was arrested.

It emerged yesterday that at the time of the incident Sparkes was still subject to a two-year conditional discharge imposed in 2009 for possessing a quantity of child porn mostly relating to boys.

In May Sparkes admitted two offences of sexual activity with a child and one of meeting a child after sexual grooming.

Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC said Sparkes’ guilty pleas had spared the boy the ordeal of giving evidence in the crown court, but he had abused a vulnerable, trusting young man for purely paedophilic and predatory purposes.

“You gave not a thought to his youthfulness and vulnerability,” the judge told Sparkes.

''You gave not a thought to his parents. You gave no thought to the effect of this activity upon him and you travelled down the M62 from Brighouse to Scunthorpe to collect him.

“You removed him from the safety of his locality and parents for hours. Only his close friend knew what was happening. She was desperately concerned for him.

“Thank goodness she told her grandmother who contacted the police.

“This was not real affection. Once he was in your home you used him and no doubt he had his experience too which I hope will not be too scarring. Having used him you returned him, recognising from the texts that this was becoming dangerous for you.”

Sparkes’ barrister Keith Hamilton said it was not a case involving compulsion and his guilty pleas relieved the prosecution of a significant burden because the complainant was reluctant.

“The defendant apologises for his behaviour. He realises he’s gone far too far,” added Mr Hamilton.

“He’s unfortunately done immense damage to his relationship with his parents.”

Sparkes will now be subject to an indefinite sexual offences prevention order which restricts his unsupervised contact with children under 16 following his release from prison.

He will also be on the sex offenders’ register for the next 10 years.