A CANDLE started a fire drama at a Huddersfield block of flats.

A man in his early 20s put a candle on the side of his bath on Thursday night after the electricity had been cut off at his home in Hebden Court, Chesil Bank, Quarmby.

After his bath he went to bed - and forgot about the candle.

It burned down - and at 3am yesterday set the bath on fire, filling the flat with thick, black smoke.

Leading Firefighter Paul Mellor, of Huddersfield fire station, said: "The smoke triggered the detectors and woke the man up. He escaped unhurt.

"We confined the fire to the bath, but the flat was smoke-damaged."

He added: "We would urge people to make sure candles are always in proper holders and double-check they are extinguished last thing at night."