SAFETY campaigners are highlighting the tragic death of a Slaithwaite woman to warn of the dangers of carbon monoxide from barbecues.
Hazel Woodhams, 30, died on a camping holiday near Great Yarmouth in July last year.
She and partner Roland Wessling had brought the charcoal barbecue into their tent overnight.
The poisonous fumes killed Miss Woodhams and Mr Wessling, 40, suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning.
He spent three weeks in hospital and almost lost an arm. He also suffered kidney damage.
Twelve months later he is still recovering and has taken a staggering 10,000 painkillers.
Gas Safe Register, the UK’s official gas safety body, has highlighted Ms Woodham’s death as part of an awareness campaign ahead of Britain’s summer camping season.
Last year seven people – including two girls aged six and 14 – died of carbon monoxide poisoning on UK camp-sites. Another 17 were injured.
All the deaths and injuries were caused by barbecues being brought inside.
A survey for the Gas Safe Register has shown that one in five campers are not aware of the dangers.
Gas barbecues and camping lamps also pose a risk and even sitting too close can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Mr Wessling, who was arrested at the time for murder, is a forensic scientist at Cranfield University.
As a result of the accident he is now undertaking a research project looking at toxicity of fuels in relation to carbon monoxide. He is also looking at the design of tents.
A survey carried out by One Poll on behalf of the Gas Safety Trust found that a third of UK campers have or would use a gas cooker inside their tent, gazebo or caravan.
A further one in five said they would definitely do so if it rained.
Sarah Hill, stakeholder manager at Gas Safe Register, said the aim of the campaign was to raise awareness and cut deaths.
She said: “The past year has seen too many tragic cases of people losing their lives during family camping trips.
“As our survey highlights, many individuals are simply not aware of the significant risks of bringing a gas or charcoal barbecue into a tent or enclosed space.
“We are concerned that if the weather continues to be wet and cold over the summer more campers will be tempted to do this.
“Our message is simple – do not bring barbecues indoors, even if you think they have finished burning.”
Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer. It cannot be seen and has no smell or taste.
Symptoms of poisoning include headaches, dizziness, breathlessness and nausea.