A DEIGHTON school has helped launch a life-saving campaign in memory of a former pupil.
Pupils at Christ Church Woodhouse School took part in a carbon monoxide awareness project yesterday – five years to the day that former pupil Dominic Rodgers died.
Dominic, 10, was poisoned by the deadly gas on February 12, 2004, when fumes seeped into his bedroom from a boiler flue.
His mum Stacey has campaigned full-time to raise awareness of carbon monoxide ever since.
The school project is the latest development and involves workshops and an assembly by children’s scientific entertainers, Mad Science of Yorkshire and Humber. The project has been organised by the Kirklees Carbon Monoxide Awareness Group.
The scheme is set to be piloted in 50 primary schools across Kirklees, with a view to a national roll-out via Mad Science’s network of school visits.
Stacey – a key member of KCOAG – is delighted with the Mad Science scheme.
She said: “KCOAG has been looking at how we could get the message out to children so that they’d understand but not be frightened and learn something they’ll remember for the rest of their lives.
“The Mad Science approach is fantastic and does everything we wanted it to. I’m really proud that we could launch it at Dom’s school on his anniversary.”
Jennifer Davies, head teacher at the school, added: “It’s a wonderful way to remember Dominic and a real lasting legacy.”
She said the pupils enjoyed the workshops.
“They’ve learned valuable information and they’ll take the important message about gas safety home to their parents.”
The project has been supported by Corgi, the gas industry watchdog, Northern Gas Networks, Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing, Kirklees Council and the Sadeh Lok Housing Group.