A HOUSE fire started after a woman left food cooking in an oven.
A passer-by heard the smoke alarm at the Dewsbury house at 10am yesterday morning and called the fire brigade.
Fire crews believe the woman had left food in the oven and had not heard the smoke alarm.
There was only limited fire and smoke damage at the kitchen of the house in Hillesley Road, Shaw Cross, which the Dewsbury firefighters ventilated.
Watch Manager Martin Horsley said: “Thankfully the passer-by heard the smoke detector and called the fire brigade.
“If he hadn’t it might have a different story altogether.
“It shows the importance that smoke alarms can have.”
Firefighters later visited neighbouring properties to give fire safety advice.