Three people were taken to hospital after a chemical leak at a Huddersfield firm.
An investigation has been now been launched after the chemical incident at a food factory in Oakes.
Specially trained firefighters were called to Country Park Foods, part of the Newsholme Food group, at 7pm on Wednesday after reports of a small chemical incident.
But on arrival, fire crews from Huddersfield found the quick-thinking staff had managed to bring the situation under control and had evacuated the building.
Huddersfield fire station crew commander Eddie Beaumont said: “The quantity of chemical , we believe, was less than 10 litres and was caused when chemicals mixed together caused the fumes.
“There were three people in the room. They were employees of the company and were able to rectify the problem but afterwards they complained of sore eyes so they went to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary for a check-up.
“Chlorine can potentially by very dangerous, but this was a minor incident.”
Huddersfield fire crews were backed up by the Protection Identification Monitoring Vehicle from Dewsbury Fire Station and a specialist chemical and hazardous expert.
Mr Beaumont added: “There was never a risk to anyone beyond the factory, the area was analysed and there were no traces of any chlorine whatsoever afterwards, so it had been dealt with.
“There will be a full investigation by the factory to find out how and why it happened.”
Managing Director David Newsholme told the Examiner: “Three staff who were involved have been treated in hospital after experiencing eye problems and were released the same evening.
“They are both due to be back in tonight as usual.
“A full investigation is now being carried out by the Health and Safety member of our team.
“He was alerted last night and is now preparing a full report once witness statements can be taken.”
Mr Newsholme said he could not comment on the incident itself until the outcome of the report but confirmed the fire service were correct in their summary of the situation.
He said: “The incident happened in a chemical store which is self contained and approximately 6m by 5m. Only specially chemically trained staff are allowed in the room which is used to store cleaning chemicals.
“We take health and safety very seriously. We have two high-risk food areas and as such hygiene is paramount.”
The company, which produces ready meals and sausages, currently employs 216 workers at is site.
The Health and Safety Executive confirmed it is making enquiries about this incident but is not investigating at this stage.