A FRIDGE which set on fire caused major smoke damage to a Dalton house on Christmas Day.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house to tackle the flames, caused when the electrics on a fridge-freezer somehow caught fire.
Luckily, the home owner had popped out so no-one was injured.
But the blaze left behind serious fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to much of the terraced property.
The incident was at 8.05pm on Sunday at Holme Avenue in Dalton.
Watch Commander Andy Blackburn, from Huddersfield Fire Station, said the smoke spread quickly because all the interior doors were open.
He said: “A neighbour heard the smoke detector and checked and saw smoke so called us.
“The quick actions meant we were able to prevent the fire spreading, but the kitchen was about 60% damaged by the fire and I’d say the rest of the house was affected by the smoke.
“The windows were closed and there was nowhere for the smoke to get out.
“We had to send two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus in to tackle the fire.
“The owner of the property came back just as we were about to break entry, so they were able to let us in, but the damage was still quite widespread.”
The electric motor in the area behind the grate over the bottom of the fridge is where the blaze started.
Firefighters were at the scene for just under two hours and used a fan to extract the smoke.
Watch Commander Blackburn added: “On Christmas Day this is the last thing you want to happen.
“We’re certain where the fire started, but we don’t know why.
“It is a shame that all the house doors inside were open because that let the smoke travel throughout the rest of the property.
“It’s perhaps not something people think about, but if people close the doors then it limits the spread of fire and smoke in the event of an incident.
“It also means less damage to the property.”