A DENTIST cleared of groping a teenage patient acted unprofessionally towards her, the General Dental Council was told.
Muzzafar Zaman, 41, admitted sedating the 16-year-old without a dental nurse or other member of staff present at his practice in Brighouse.
He also did not keep proper records of the after-hours visit to the High Street surgery in February 2005.
The claims spring from a trial at Bradford Crown Court in January last year when Dr Zaman was cleared of sexually assaulting the youngster. She claimed he touched her breast.
Dr Zaman, who is also accused of a series of health and safety breaches which left patients and staff at risk of cross-infection, denies serious professional misconduct.
John Snell, for the GDC, told the council's professional conduct committee in central London: "Dr Zaman admitted that he did not obtain written consent, ensure that he was assisted by a second appropriately-trained person or keep sufficient records.
"There were no records at all and there should have been a proper record."
This was a breach of guidance and appropriate general standards, Mr Snell said.
Dr Zaman, who lives at Central Park, Halifax, claims he was surprised when the teenager arrived at his practice without a booking.
Mr Snell said: "He knew he could not do any treatment in the absence of a dental nurse but did not want to turn her away, so he decided to examine her and talk about her treatment.
"It occurred to him that Patient A was a nervous patient and she might be helped in future by inhalation sedation.
"He proposed a short trial run, she agreed and Dr Zaman did an inhalation procedure on her at the time."
Inspections carried out by the North Kirklees Primary Care Trust (PCT) in October and December 2002 and in February and March 2005 triggered safety concerns, the committee heard.
The surgery was not clean enough and more care was needed to ensure hand instruments as well as other equipment and the patients' chair was properly sterilised.
The October 2002 inspection also found the staff room in a state of disrepair, poor lighting, no fire guard on the waiting room fire and a trip hazard at the top of the stairs.
Uninsulated wires and an aspirator that needed replacing were noted a couple of months later.
Dr Zaman was also risking cross-infection because his instrument drawer and storage cupboard were poorly organised, it was claimed.
In February 2005 the inspectors also spotted a control panel and power switch that was too close to an x-ray machine that had no warning sign.
Trailing electric wires were touching drill bits and medication was not securely stored. There was an unlockable storeroom and an upright gas cylinder.
Dental tools were held in dirty trays and the practice was not clean, the committee was told.
Inspectors who investigated in March 2005 found "items of equipment were dirty and in some areas of the surgery dust was obvious," the panel heard.
Instrument trays on the worktop were dirty, impression moulds were not cleaned properly and two rubbish bins in the surgery did not have lids.
Used injection ampoules were not carefully put away and, it was claimed, some of the electrical wiring was in a dangerous condition.
The hearing continues.