A DOG was rescued from a burning kitchen last night.
Fire crews were called to a family home in Birkby after a chip pan had caught alight.
On arrival they discovered the kitchen had been engulfed by flames and a dog was stuck in the centre of the drama.
The man in the house on Wheathouse Road was dragging the dog out as the firemen arrived, following the call at 6.15pm.
Concerned about the levels of smoke the dog had inhaled, crews gave the pooch oxygen therapy for around 15 minutes before he was taken immediately to Pets at Home vets, on Leeds Road.
Watch Commander Grahame Calcraft said: "We were concerned for the dog and thought he may have died as he was overcome by smoke.
"We put an oxygen mask on him just like we would any person.
"He had burnt the inside of his nose which I think vets suggested could be infected for around four days.
"But his lungs were clear.
"We believe he is expected to to make a full recovery.
"The man was very lucky.
"He didn’t need oxygen.
"The kitchen was completely gutted and there was extensive smoke damage to the rest of the house."
The large dog was just one of two in the house, and the other in the living room.