RELATIVES of a Huddersfield boy who died of carbon monoxide poisoning remembered him in a special way at Town's play-off final.
Family and friends of 10-year-old Dominic Rodgers travelled to Cardiff's Millennium Stadium to watch Town play Mansfield in the finals of the Third Division play-offs.
They took Dominic's Town shirt with them.
His mother, Stacey, said: "Dominic loved Town, as well as Manchester United. He also had a thing about the Millennium Stadium. He always wanted to play there."
Dominic died in February at his home in Spaines Road, Fartown.
Carbon monoxide escaped from the boiler flue of a neighbouring house. It caused a build-up of deadly gas in a passageway between the houses and the gas seeped into Dominic's bedroom.
The tragedy prompted Stacey to launch a campaign to raise awareness about the `silent killer'.
She set up the Dominic Rodgers Trust in March.
She said: "I'm really pleased with how it's going. I feel proud of what I'm doing. It gives me something to live for.
"I have been getting a lot of support and people encouraging me. I've even got people running the London Marathon for me next year."
Stacey is working closely with the Fresh Horizons community learning centre on Browning Road, Deighton.
The centre is running a new Learn Direct course called Helping Your Child.
Each parent who completes it gets a free carbon monoxide detector.
Already, 50 have been given away.
Fresh Horizons has given Stacey a computer to help her with the campaign.
She has used it to produce leaflets about carbon monoxide.
The latest one is for tenants, advising them about landlords' responsibilities.
Stacey plans to ask estate agents to hand out the leaflets. She wants Huddersfield University to offer them to students seeking accommodation.
Stacey also wants to visit the university, schools and colleges in Huddersfield to talk about carbon monoxide.
After months of hard work, Stacey will finally get a break on Friday, when she travels to the Isle of Wight with her parents.
Carbon monoxide awareness charity CO Gas Safety wants her to officially start a walk to raise funds for its work.
Stacey said: "I am not doing the full walk, but will cross the finish line for Dominic."
Stacey is hoping the break will help with the stress of waiting for the results of a Health and Safety Executive investigation into the tragic events at Spaines Road.
She said: "It will be months and it is the waiting that gets to you.
"But we are determined to get something positive out of all this."
* Headaches, constant tiredness, sickness and confusion are all signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. See your GP immediately.
To cut the risks of carbon monoxide in your home:
* Fit audible detectors. They cost around £35 from most DIY stores. Replace batteries annually and check regularly.
* Get a home gas safety check by a Corgi registered engineer every year.
* If renting, make sure you see gas safety certificates from your landlord and ensure regular safety checks are done.
* For more information:
E-mail Stacey at dominicrodgerstrust@ hotmail.com