These are the charred remains of a room when a cigarette wasn’t discarded properly.

Now West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service are hoping to curb the number of fires started by smoking materials and have issued this image taken at a house fire in Normanton to remind smokers of the dangers cigarettes can pose to their homes.

Last year, the brigade dealt with 22 fires in Kirklees caused by cigarettes.

And the warning comes weeks after a serious blaze in a Dewsbury flats complex which is believed to have been started by a discarded cigarette.

The blaze ripped through flats in Ashworth Close on December 9. A dozen residents were forced to flee from their flats as flames shot through the roof.

An investigation is continuing into the incident but fire investigators believe a cigarette had been thrown in a waste bin.

Fire Investigation Officer Gary Kendrew said: ““We cannot stress enough the importance of being careful with cigarette ends. Always make sure they are stubbed out properly and use an appropriate ashtray, not a makeshift one.

“A smoke alarm is vital and in the instance of the blaze in Normanton it has alerted the occupant to the fire and prevented a possible tragedy”.

 

A mum and her daughter were upstairs at the time and were alerted by smoke alarms before leaving the house, but both suffered from the effects of smoke.

An investigation found a cigarette end which had not been stubbed out had been placed into a candle holder on a window sill which set fire to the curtains”.

Mr Kendrew added: “The occupant did the correct thing in that she closed the doors to the lounge, which contained the fire to this area, and got herself and the child outside.

“The layout of the house meant they had to pass close to the fire to get out of the property so this would have been quite a frightening experience for both.”

To book a free Home Fire Safety Check online visit www.westyorksfire.gov.uk or call 0800 5874536.

Alternatively you can pop into your nearest fire station to make arrangements.