A MAN is lucky to be alive after a chip pan fire at his Huddersfield home.
He put an open chip pan on his cooker just before 10pm last night, but then fell asleep.
The pan flared up and caught fire, with the smoke triggering detectors at the first-floor flat on Swan Lane, Lockwood.
The alarm's piercing shrill alerted neighbours, who phoned the fire service.
Crew Manager Dave Boothroyd, of Huddersfield fire station, said: "We were there very quickly.
"As we went into the flat we found the man staggering towards the door.
"It seems the sound of the detectors had eventually woken him up. We helped him outside.
"He was lucky the smoke detectors had gone off and alerted someone to what was happening, otherwise the outcome could have been very different.
"It proves again just how vital smoke detectors are in homes."
The fire was confined to the pan, but the flat was smoke-logged.
Firefighters have again urged people to throw chip pans away and use oven chips instead.
People can get free home fire safety checks by phoning 0800 5874536. Fire crews give advice and also fit smoke detectors for free.