A DRUG addict died from breathing in smoke during a fire in a squat, an inquest heard.
Homeless Anthony Taylor, 42, died in the attic of a house in Norman Road, Birkby, on April 17.
A friend, Philip Mortimer, told the Huddersfield hearing that Mr Taylor was addicted to amphetamines and had taken some the night before he died.
Mr Taylor called at Mr Mortimer's home in Blacker Road, Birkby, asking if he could stay because he had been thrown out of the Cambridge Road Hotel.
But Mr Mortimer had friends staying and said Mr Taylor could not stay.
Mr Taylor then decided to stay at the squat in Norman Road.
But at 8am the following morning fire crews went to the house after a neighbour spotted smoke.
They found Mr Taylor in a corner of the attic bedroom, several feet from the seat of the fire.
Mr Keith Robinson, a fire investigation officer, said the house was smoke- logged.
He said it had been a slow-burning fire and had probably started three to four hours earlier.
There was no electricity or gas connected in the house. Candles and tea-lights had been burning. It was likely the fire was started by a cigarette or candle.
There were also a lot of hypodermic needles throughout the house.
Coroner Roger Whittaker said that although Mr Taylor had taken amphetamines he had not taken enough to kill him.
He added: "When the fire started slowly, as it did, he would not have been in a state to do anything about it and was affected by the smoke.
"Had he not taken drugs he would have escaped."
He recorded a verdict of accidental death.