A HUDDERSFIELD man died soon after returning to his drug habit after years of staying clean.
Stephen Bedford, 40, died from the adverse effects of cocaine and amphetamine, a Huddersfield inquest heard yesterday.
He died at his friend's home on Trevelyan Street in Moldgreen on October 25, 2005.
His wife Angela told the inquest that he had once used both drugs - but had given them up to build a family life.
The couple were together for 15 years and married for five.
Mrs Bedford said her husband began to have mental health problems two years before he died.
He had been treated at St Luke's Hospital at Crosland Moor.
Several weeks before his death, he had been released from hospital and was living with Mrs Bedford's mother at Abbey Road in Fartown.
The couple had separated.
On October 25, Mr Bedford texted his wife for money. She agreed to meet him, but he did not turn up.
Instead, he went to his friend's at Moldgreen.
He talked before leaving and coming back.
On his second visit, he asked to use the bathroom. Ten minutes later, his friend heard a thud and went upstairs to see Mr Bedford slumped on the floor.
He called an ambulance and got instructions on how to resuscitate Mr Bedford - but his efforts did not work.
A post-mortem showed that Mr Bedford had cocaine and amphetamine in his blood at levels which have caused death.
Although police found signs of drug taking in the house, they did not find drugs or evidence that the friend - a heroin user - had given drugs to Mr Bedford.
Det Con Jenny Haigh, of Dewsbury CID, told the inquest: "He was upset and said he would never do that - they were friends."
Coroner Roger Whittaker recorded a verdict that Mr Bedford died from abuse of drugs.