FIRE crews were called to an elderly couple’s home after a fire broke out in the kitchen.
The pair had forgotten the electric oven was on when they placed a heap of plastic and paper on top of it, causing it to set on fire.
Huddersfield firemen were alerted to the blaze on Roundway, Honley, at 7.15pm on Tuesday night.
Watch Commander Grahame Calcroft said: “They had cooked on the oven previously and therefore the combustible materials caught alight.
“Most of the fire was out when we arrived but the house was smoke logged.”