FAMILIES of loved ones who died from carbon monoxide poisoning have called for greater awareness in the aftermath of the death of a Slaithwaite woman.

Hazel Woodhams, 30, died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning caused from a charcoal barbecue on Tuesday.

Her boyfriend Roland Wessling, 30, who shared her terraced home in Slaithwaite, remains in a stable condition in hospital following the tragedy which happened while the pair were camping at Clippesby Holiday Park, near Great Yarmouth.

Ms Woodham’s death comes just a year after David Swallow, 29, died after inhaling carbon monoxide fumes from a barbecue.

His widow Ruth, 31, said: “I would say there is a lack of awareness. The packaging for charcoal should be the same as cigarettes.

“It should carry a logo and or information to say ‘this smoke is poisonous and has a risk of death’.

“It is awful to hear of Hazel’s death, it appears she was just enjoying a camping holiday and sadly goes to show there isn’t enough warnings to prevent such tragedies.

“I know exactly how her family must be feeling, to have a loved one there one minute and gone the next is incredibly difficult to process. I know I was in shock as to how it could happen.

“Hearing of her death has been particularly poignant for me as it is has come at the time of the first anniversary of David’s death.

“I think as much as can be done should be done, even campsites could get involved to make site users more aware of the dangers.”

Stacey Rodgers, of Deighton, has been campaigning for more carbon monoxide awareness since her son Dominic died in February, 2004, when fumes seeped into his bedroom at Spaines Road in Fartown.

An inquest into his death was told a faulty boiler in a neighbouring property was to blame.

Stacey said: “I am saddened to hear of Hazel’s death and feel for her family at this difficult time.

“I know of at least two other Huddersfield people whose deaths were linked to carbon monoxide from barbecues.

“I don’t believe there is nearly enough awareness, particularly from barbecue manufacturers to make people fully understand the dangers associated with them.

“I know they say ‘not for indoor use’ but they should warn specifically of the possible dangers for campers particularly at this time of year when they are commonly used.”

Ms Woodhams had worked for West Yorkshire Police in the position of Scenes of Crime Officer for three years.

Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation team are currently awaiting toxicology results after initial tests proved inconclusive.

They have issued a warning to campers of the dangers of having charcoal barbecues in enclosed spaces.