A FAMILY of four narrowly escaped death as a blaze swept through their Kirkburton home in the early hours of today.

Firefighters said the mother, father and two grown-up children were lucky to be alive following the fire at their home in Storthes Hall Lane.

Huddersfield fire station watch manager Paul Mace said: "The family were all asleep upstairs and when the father awoke shortly after 2am, he found the bedroom was filled with smoke.

"Just minutes later we would have been looking at a much more serious situation."

He revealed that there were no smoke detectors in the house.

The family all escaped uninjured.

The father suffered smoke inhalation but did not receive hospital treatment.

The family's two cats perished in the fire.

Firefighters from Huddersfield, Skelmanthorpe and Elland spent four hours at the blaze in the mid terraced property.

The ground floor of the house was gutted by the blaze and the first floor of the house badly damaged.

Neighbouring properties were also badly smoke damaged by the fire.

One was unoccupied but a neighbour was evacuated on the other side.

Fire investigators were examining the house this morning to find out how the fire started, although it is believed to have begun in the kitchen.

A structural engineer was also called to examine the house today.