A FAMILY of seven including a baby and a toddler are ‘lucky to be alive’ after a fire destroyed the kitchen of their Huddersfield home.

Fire crews were called to the house in Lime Street, Lockwood, at around 3.40am on Saturday after the family awoke to find the house filled with smoke.

Two adults in their 20s and their two children, aged one and two, were taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary and treated for smoke inhalation.

Another two adults – thought to be the children’s grandparents – and a teenager were taken in by neighbours for the night.

The fire, which is believed to have started due to a faulty kitchen appliance, quickly took hold of the kitchen which was 100% alight when crews arrived.

Huddersfield watch commander Darren Bagley said: “This family is extremely lucky to be alive.

“One of the family members woke to find the house filled with smoke and raised the alarm.

“All seven of the family were still reported in the property when we were en route to the house, but on arrival they were all accounted for.

“We sent four crew wearing breathing apparatus into the semi-detached bungalow and used two hose reels to tackle the fire which was 100% alight in the kitchen.

“I cannot stress enough the importance of having a working smoke alarm installed.

“This family did not only have no smoke alarm but all the doors were open in the house allowing the fire to spread more easily.

“Fortunately all the occupants escaped via windows and doors.”

Two appliances from Huddersfield and one from Slaithwaite attended the incident and were at the scene for around three hours.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue officers returned to Lime Street at the weekend to offer free smoke alarms and fitted a number to homes in the area.

To arrange a free Home Fire safety Check call 01274 682311 or book online at www.westyorksfire.gov.uk