A HUDDERSFIELD building firm could face legal action after the tragic death of a woman.
The daughter of a Liberal Democrat MP died after she was electrocuted as she emptied her dishwasher, a coroner's court was told.
Mary Wherry, 34, daughter of Jenny Tonge, MP for Richmond Park, had placed a metal utensil on a metal rack not realising the metal screw supporting the rack was touching a live electricity cable.
Now her family are reported to be considering tracing and taking legal action against the unnamed Huddersfield firm who installed the kitchen in 1999.
Fulham Coroner's Court heard that Mrs Wherry was electrocuted and her body was found in the family home in Hampton Hill, south-west London by her sons George, aged five, and four-year-old Mickey.
Although she was pronounced dead at the hospital, coroner Alison Thompson said Mrs Wherry died immediately.
The court heard how in 1999, a new kitchen was put in by unnamed builders and - against best practice guidelines - the wires leading from the extractor to the fuse box had not been placed deep enough.
Det Insp Tim Dobson said the wires did not go up the wall vertically and then horizontally, as expected, but veered off at a five degree angle.
"The wire was outside the area of expectancy, at a slight angle," he said.
Two years later, Mrs Wherry's husband Jake put the fated utensil rack underneath the extractor hood in the kitchen and a screw went into the cable.
Ms Thompson's verdict was that Mrs Wherry's death was "consequent on home improvement work".
Roger Vincent, spokesman for the Royal Society of Prevention of Accidents, said: "This case is a terrible tragedy. Electrocutions in the home are relatively rare because of all the different safety devices these days."
Police said that they had not traced the building firm who had carried out the work.