COUNCIL workers have got stuck into getting the St George’s Square work underway again.

And today’s move comes as readers get a first look at the cascading fountain due to be a centrepiece of the new-look square.

Council workers are clearing the site up and making preparatory work for when the specialist contractors come back to finish the job.

Talks with them are still underway and it is hoped some will return soon.

Once back on site, the scheme is expected to take a further six weeks to finish.

Last month the main contractor, Wrekin, went into administration which led to workers downing tools.

The council wrote on its website: “We are fortunate that many of the original sub-contractors, craftsmen and suppliers are still in place to continue immediately and we hope the rest will follow shortly.

“We shall re-employ many of the local Wrekin staff who were made redundant after the company went into administration.

“There is still a lot of work to do and one of our first jobs will be clearing the site and preparing for the completion of the tree pits and ducting.”

The first phase of the work will be the completion of the main plaza – with council officials saying its look should change drastically over the coming weeks.

They say the main priority will be to make it easier for pedestrians to move around the square in the meantime.

Clr Christine Stanfield, cabinet member for regeneration said “It is a bespoke job with everything cut and made specifically for the square which is why we want the original contractors back.

“There are still a number of contractual and legal loose ends to tie up resulting from Wrekin’s administration.

“All this is going on in the background as we prepare the groundwork for the completion of the Square which I know is so important to the people of both Huddersfield and all Kirklees.

“Our priority now is to get the square finished and we hope to get as many of the original contractors back on site as quickly as possible. The sooner they are back, the better.”

Over a week ago it was announced that works should be complete within two months.

Meanwhile, new drawings have been released showing the cascading fountain planned for the square.

On March 18, the council was forced to take control of the multi-million pound project after the contractor went bust.

The regeneration had already been plagued by problems.

First was the furore when the council used pink Chinese granite to pave the square rather than local stone.

The Examiner received hundreds of letters and emails from people angry about the decision.

Then work was beset by power cuts which disrupted businesses in the square – and the George Hotel’s general manager, Mark Wakeley, said the disruption could end up costing his business £150,000.

Earlier this month paver Ashley Browitt said he was owed £16,000 from Wrekin who failed to pay despite a court ordering them to.

Just days later Wrekin went bust and work on the square stopped.

But now the final push is underway and council officials say it should be two months before the square is officially opened.

Posters will also be put up around the square to let people know the progress of the work.

There is also a dedicated website at for the latest information.