Fire crews were called to a house in Thorn Tree Street, Halifax, on Monday night after a blaze broke out.
The fire started on the landing and it is believed the householder had been burning candles and left them unattended.
Despite not having a smoke alarm he managed to get out of the house and awaited fire crews from Halifax and Illingworth.
Watch commander Andy Flynn, of Halifax Fire Station, said: “We were called at 10.30pm on Monday night to a fire on a landing.
“The male occupant was out of the house upon our arrival and the fire had started on the landing.”
Mr Flynn said crews spent an hour and a half at the house. He added: “This man was fortunate to notice the fire and get out but we cannot reiterate enough the importance of having a working smoke alarm in your home.”