FIREFIGHTERS are reminding people to take care in the kitchen after a spate of weekend fires.
The warning has been issued by West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service after several incidents involving chip pans.
Senior community safety officer Brian Robson said: “It may sound obvious that you should take care when cooking, but all too often our crews are called to fires caused by pans left unattended.
“We cannot stress enough the importance of having your wits about you when cooking.”
In January, the service launched a winter campaign called Safer Life promoting the message that carelessness kills and the key causes of fire which are smoking indoors, alcohol and electrical equipment.
More information and to book a free home fire safety check – which involves the fitting of free fire alarms – visit www.saferlife.co.uk or to book a free home fire safety check telephone 0800 587 45 36.