FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to take care when using electrical equipment if they want to avoid a fire in their home.
Last year there were 265 accidental fires in West Yorkshire caused by faulty or misused electrical equipment with 55 injuries.
The figures come as
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service backs Electrical Fire Safety Week this week.
Assistant Chief Fire Officer Craig McIntosh, director of fire safety, said: “Fire in the home can be devastating, but it is nearly always preventable.
“It is really important that people check their electrics are working properly and in good working order.”
Last month Huddersfield firefighters were called to a home in Staynton Crescent, Bradley, after a fire broke out in an electrical cupboard.
For further fire safety advice visit www.celebratesafer.co.uk