A YOUNG man died in a house fire after cooking a late-night supper, an inquest heard.
And Kirklees Coroner Roger Whittaker urged people to make more use of smoke alarms to prevent fatal fires.
Garry John Lockwood, 24, was at the home of friend Sarah Basford in Highgate Lane, Lepton, when the fire broke out early last August 3.
Ms Basford told the inquest she had been out with friends the previous evening and met Mr Lockwood, who had also been out with his friends. They went to her home about 2.30am.
Ms Basford said Mr Lockwood, with whom she was having a relationship, wanted a take-away, but none were open.
She told him there was some scampi in her freezer but he would have to fry it.
She went up to bed and later woke up with Mr Lockwood beside her .
Ms Basford said: "I thought something was wrong and went downstairs."
She saw the kitchen in flames and tried to get into it to take a pan off the hob. But she could not get near the cooker.
Polystyrene tiles on the ceiling were dripping on the floor, causing spots of fire.
She returned upstairs and screamed to Gary.
"The smoke was so thick I could not breathe. I started to have chest pain," she said. "I went downstairs to ring the fire brigade, but could not find the phone."
She rushed outside and neighbours came across and said they had phoned the emergency services.
Ms Basford said she tried to return inside, but was beaten back by thick smoke.
Pathologist Dr Thomas George said the cause of death was smoke inhalation.
He said Mr Lockwood, of Highgate Crescent, Lepton, had the equivalent of eight pints of alcohol in his system.
Fire investigator Richard Hagger said he found a pan of hot dog sausages in a pan on the cooker.
There was also a quantity of oil on the hob, between the electric hotplates.
Mr Hagger said he found a smoke alarm, but it was on its back on a chest of drawers at the top of the stairs.
He said the fire service recommended two smoke alarms in a house, one upstairs and one down.
Mr Whittaker recorded a verdict of accidental death, adding: "The only good thin g to come from this dreadful tragedy is that others should learn."
* The fire service offers a free inspection and instillation for households that cannot afford smoke alarms. Phone 0800 5874536.