A BLAZE broke out in a classroom featuring project work by pupils on the Great Fire Of London.

Governors smelled smoke during a meeting at Birkby Infant and Nursery School in Blacker Road, Birkby, at 7.30 last night.

One went to check and discovered a wall on fire.

She alerted Huddersfield firefighters, but the blaze had burned itself out by the time they arrived.

Leading Firefighter Jimmy Johnstone, of Huddersfield Fire Station, said: "We don't quite know how the fire stopped by itself, but it had started in a battery charger.

"Unfortunately someone had put non rechargeable batteries in it.

"We then looked up the wall and saw illustrations of the Great Fire Of London."

* Mount Pleasant Junior, Infant and Nursery School, Lockwood, was evacuated yesterday, after a fire started in a bin in changing rooms at 10.30am. Teachers doused the flames with a hosereel.