THE RSPCA has launched a warning after five cats died in Huddersfield, accidentally poisoned by household chemicals.
Inspectors have received calls from distraught pet owners from three Lepton homes where five cats died from poisoning.
Vets have confirmed all the cats, which died over the last two months, died after swallowing domestic chemicals.
Common household chemicals can taste sweet to cats and attract them, vets say, and a small amount cause death in cats.
The RSPCA has asked owners to be vigilant for symptoms including a lack of co-ordination and disorientation, shaking, vomiting, seizures, excessive thirst, a faster heart rate and rapid breathing.
RSPCA inspector Nicky Foster said: “We have no reason to believe that these cats have been deliberately poisoned.
“However, many people are unaware of the dangers common household chemicals pose.
“We are asking the public to take care when using chemicals, especially outdoors, and make sure that none is spilt or discarded in drains or gutters where animals may have access to it.
“Also, take care to store any toxic liquids safely out of reach and make sure empty containers are disposed of carefully.
“If you believe your animal has been poisoned take it to a vet immediately.
“The sooner it is treated the better its chances are of recovering.”
For more details visit www.rspca.org.uk