FOUR people escaped a severe blaze that began in the bathroom of the first floor of a pub.
The fire started at The Red Lion in Heckmondwike after what was thought to have been an electrical fault with the boiler.
A schoolgirl who was sleeping upstairs heard the fire alarm just after midnight on Sunday morning and alerted others in the flat.
They all made their way outside on to Market Street to safety.
Two men went back in to try and fight the flames with fire extinguishers.
Fire crews arrived from Batley and Cleckheaton to put out the blaze.
Batley fire station’s watch manager Barry Shevill said: “We believe the fire started with an electrical fault in the airing cupboard.
“It was quite a severe fire and the occupants have been very lucky.
“Because of the fire alarm the young girl was able to alert the others and they were able to carry a young baby down to safety.
“This shows the importance of having a smoke alarm, but it should also make people aware that they should have their appliances serviced regularly.”
Three males were treated for smoke inhalation and were given oxygen by the fire service.