A BONFIRE had to be put out by fire crews after a gas cylinder was thrown onto the blaze.
An off-duty firefighter spotted the explosive item as he walked past the bonfire on Hall Avenue, Thornton Lodge, at 9pm on Thursday.
He alerted Huddersfield fire crews who rushed to the scene.
The fire was extinguished immediately and the 9kg barbecue cylinder was dragged out and left to cool.
Huddersfield firefighter Matt Freeman said: "There was a big crowd standing around and it could potentially have been very nasty.
"It had the potential to kill anyone nearby.
"The man just hadn't thought when he threw it on.
"It was plain stupidity."