A CHIP PAN fire has gutted the downstairs of a Paddock home.

The blaze at The Triangle broke out around 1.30am today.

It began after a man returned from a night out and started cooking. He then fell asleep, leaving the pan unattended, which caught fire.

The householder – who did not have any smoke alarms – awoke to find his home alight.

He managed to escape through the front door.

Two Huddersfield fire engines were called to the scene.

The man was taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary by ambulance for the effects of smoke inhalation. His condition was not thought to be life-threatening.