A PETROL station owner has been fined thousands of pounds after a large amount of fuel was spilled during a delivery.
Dene Service Station on Penistone Road in Kirkburton had to be closed while specialists cleaned up the petrol.
It had spilled on to grass verges and was in danger of seeping through drains into nearby properties.
Mohammed Saeed Mulla, 50, of Falcon Road, Savile Town, Dewsbury, pleaded guilty to breaking dangerous substances laws.
He was fined £3,000 with £979 costs over the incident, which happened in early April.
Huddersfield magistrates heard that people nearby had complained about the spillage.
It was then discovered that drainage channels at the garage had become blocked by debris and silt. This had caused the spilled fuel to collect on the surface.
Yorkshire Water workers jetwashed the public sewer after fuel spilled into it and was in danger of getting into nearby homes through drains.