A RASTRICK garage caught fire after the floor became covered in petrol.
At around 8.30pm on Thursday night, fire crews were called to the domestic garage next to a house on York Street.
Two men had been taking a car apart for scrap metal when the petrol tank fell to the floor.
Watch Commander Nigel Dodd, of Brighouse Fire service said: “The fuel had soaked into the floor.
“When the men were working in the vehicle a spark from the tools they were using ignited the whole vehicle and the floor.
“Everybody managed to get out and there were no injuries.
“The firemen also suffered no injuries from their involvement.”
Two firefighters in breathing apparatus doused the flames.
The extensive damage to the car inside meant it was unrecognisable and the owner’s car – an MG convertible, which had been parked outside was completely burnt out.
Crowds gathered until around 10pm to watch.
The police and the fire and investigation team were called to the scene.