FIFTEEN pensioners were evacuated from their homes after a gas leak.

The residents at Garden Court Sheltered Housing at Lockwood had to be led from their homes on Saturday after smelling gas.

It is thought that workmen on St Stephen’s Road had accidentally damaged a gas pipe. It led to a small amount of gas leaking into the housing complex.

Maria Milner from Yorkshire Housing, who own and run Garden Court, said:

“We evacuated everybody really quickly and we are so grateful to St Stephen’s Church opposite who opened and let everybody inside.

“I also want to thank the gas men who were brilliant.”