A CORONER has called for carbon monoxide alarms to be put in every home after an elderly West Yorkshire couple died.
Less than a month after youngsters Christianne and Robert Shepherd were gassed to death while holidaying on the Greek island of Corfu an elderly couple died after they were overcome by fumes from their coal fire.
Coroner David Hinchcliff, who has dealt with both the incidents, again warned people of the dangers of deadly carbon monoxide fumes and urged householders to install proper alarms.
Thomas Sykes, 90, and his 85-year-old wife, Doris, died at their home in Normanton last Friday while watching TV.
The alarm was raised after a neighbour's carbon monoxide detector sounded and gas engineers checked the house next door.
Police broke in to find the couple's bodies in a living room at the back of the house.
The inquest at Wakefield was opened less than a month after the same courtroom opened the inquests into the deaths on Corfu.
On that occasion Mr Hinchcliff vowed to "fully, fairly and fearlessly investigate" how and why the brother and sister, from Horbury, near Wakefield, were gassed to death while on holiday.
Following the second deaths Mr Hinchcliff urged people to have alarms installed to prevent further such tragedies.
He said: "Carbon monoxide detectors are essential in every home.
"I hope that by making the warning now at the outset that people might take notice."
He also urged people to get gas appliances checked regularly and chimneys swept to safeguard against carbon monoxide poisoning.
It is believed that Mr and Mrs Sykes died as a result of fumes given off from their coal fire - which was still burning when police entered - as there were no gas appliances in the home.
Glass doors on the fire had been left open, allowing the deadly fumes to escape.