A SIX-YEAR-OLD boy showed nerves of steel when his mum collapsed, struggling desperately for breath.
Calm William Heeley alerted his grandma to the unfolding drama, and passed vital information to the ambulance service.
Rachael Heeley, 31, suffered a serious reaction to antibiotics at the family home in Brockholes.
She came out in a rash and her lips began to swell.
She phoned her mum, Linda Blanchard, for help, but collapsed as soon as the phone was answered.
Linda phoned back and William picked up the receiver.
Rachael said: "He told her I was having trouble breathing.
"I managed to crawl to the front door and he came with me."
Linda rushed round from her home in Honley to find both William and his five-year-old brother, Matthew, rubbing their mum's back and telling her everything would be all right.
Linda phoned an ambulance, but in the trauma of the situation could not remember Rachael's postcode or phone number.
William calmly told her both and she managed to pass the vital information to the ambulance control.
Paramedics were quickly on the scene and gave Rachael an injection of adrenaline, which brought her out of the anaphylactic shock.
Rachael said: "I'd eaten shellfish and was taking antibiotics and thought the shellfish had triggered the shock.
"But it happened a couple of weeks later, when I took the same antibiotics."
Medical staff had given her an epi pen, which meant she could inject adrenaline into her thigh and stop the reaction herself.
Now William knows what to do if faced with a similar emergency.
If Rachael collapses and is unable to use the pen herself William knows where to find it and how to inject the adrenaline into his mum's leg.
He also knows how to call an ambulance and alert other relatives.
"I've every confidence in him,' said Rachael. "He's a little marvel.
"He's normally quite boisterous and full of life, but he immediately realised the seriousness of the situation.
"I remember him holding my hand and saying: `It'll be all right, mum.'
"Neither he nor Matthew panicked at all. They were both very brave.
"Everyone was brilliant on the day - the boys, the paramedics and staff at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary."
Rachael, who is separated, cares for people with learning disabilities in Bridgewood Trust accommodation in Denby Dale.
William and Matthew are pupils at Scholes Junior and Infants School.