A QUICK-THINKING neighbour saved a mum and her 19-month-old son from their burning home.

A cooker fire spread to the kitchen at their house in Dewsbury, trapping them in an upstairs bedroom.

A neighbour who lives near their home on Frances Road in Earlsheaton spotted the drama at 6pm yesterday and rushed over with a ladder.

He climbed up into the bedroom and passed the child down to other people. The mum then jumped from the window.

She, her son and the rescuer were all taken to Dewsbury District Hospital suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.

The rescuer – who has not been named – also suffered a cut hand.

None were badly hurt.

Watch Manager Andy Flynn from Dewsbury fire station said: “The man was very quick-thinking and did a great job. The initial report to us was that people were trapped inside, but all were out when we got there.’’