A MAN died of an overdose when he took heroin for the first time after more than two years of being drug-free.
Gary Barraclough, 36, of Westgate, Dewsbury, died on November 26 at a friend's house in Pump Lane, Dewsbury Moor.
An inquest at Huddersfield yesterday heard how Mr Barraclough, a former heroin addict, had left prison last November 2. He had been on a drug treatment programme and had been "clean" for two-and-a-half years.
After leaving prison he moved in with his parents in Dewsbury for three weeks. They did not see signs he was using drugs.
He had also been to see a doctor and got medication to prevent him craving heroin.
His parents last saw him at 10pm on November 25. He was happy and said he had found a place to live.
Mr Barraclough stayed with a friend at Pump Lane that night and the next day he and his friend went into Dewsbury town centre.
They drank all day and met another friend, then returned to the Pump Lane house.
They all smoked cannabis before Mr Barraclough said he was going home to get changed.
He collapsed and paramedics arrived, but Mr Barraclough died at the scene. The heroin in his blood was three times the level needed for it to be fatal.
Coroner Roger Whittaker recorded a verdict of death from drug abuse.