A brave teen who survived deadly meningitis is raising money for research into the disease - just weeks after her recovery.
Kirklees College student Mollie Haworth, 16, began to feel under the weather on October 20.
Ever the dedicated student, Mollie, from Holmfirth, went into college despite chronic tiredness.
But to her family’s horror, her condition quickly deteriorated to the point she was rushed to Calderdale Royal Hospital where she battled for her life.
Now, weeks later, Travel and Tourism student Mollie, is fitter than ever and raising funds with Kirklees College for research charity Meningitis Now.
The students and course tutor Nicola Hepworth held a bake sale at the college on Friday morning, where they donned charity t-shirts and raised money for the cause.
Mollie’s mum Sarah described how the horror unfolded as her daughter fell ill with the disease in October, and how their quick-thinking saved her life.
Mollie’s symptoms had taken a turn for the worse during her day at college.
Sarah said: “Her headache became worse and she started vomiting at around 12.30pm whilst at college.
“She contacted her grandparents, as she was unable to contact myself or my partner, and they picked her up and brought her home around 1.30pm.
“She was still vomiting in the car but talking and just appeared unwell.
“She went upstairs to bed but was still nauseous and went to the toilet with a bit of diarrhoea before returning to bed.”
Sarah said her partner rang her at work at 3pm to tell me he was getting slightly worried, as she seemed ‘spaced out’, not flushing the toilet and dropping the bin she had vomited in, and she appeared very weak.
Paramedics were called and it was they who got Mollie to the hospital.
Her mother said: “She still had strength and was fighting anyone trying to move her or make her sit up, so when all her levels were normal the fast responder paramedic made her take two paracetamol, thinking she was ill from vomiting. An ambulance paramedic then arrived and decided to take her to hospital.
Mollie’s left hand started to contort and whilst getting her to walk downstairs and slip on some shoes, her left foot was visibly weaker.
Further checks revealed a telltale rash on her stomach and meningitis was suspected.
Mollie was given a CT scan and suffered a seizure, and then spent 48 hours in the intensive care unit.
Sarah said: “Getting Mollie to hospital quickly saved her life.
“The medical staff all said it was the speed in getting the medication into her system and the timing that had saved her.
“I can never thank all the staff who treated her at Calderdale A&E and ICU departments enough for saving her from this frightening infection.
“Thankfully, we have been one of the lucky ones and she’s now made a full recovery.”