HOUSES were evacuated in Huddersfield due to a gas leak.
Fire crews were called to a house under renovation at Elmwood Close, in the town centre, at 9.30pm on Tuesday.
Five other houses nearby had to be evacuated.
Huddersfield fire service was at the scene for an hour and helped people from their homes before Northern Gas Networks arrived to clear up the leak.
A Northern Gas spokesman said the gas leak affected a row of terraced houses.
“On arrival, our engineers found there was damage to internal copper piping on one of the properties which had caused gas to escape into nearby homes.
“We made the situation safe by capping off the gas supply to the homes and by venting the properties until the gas had dispersed.”
Northern Gas Network advises anyone smelling gas to call 0800 111 999.