ANIMAL lovers are calling for a ban on 'bomb' fireworks because of the distress they cause animals.
Pat Derisley, 53, said she feared for her life after a loud firework startled her horse, Breeze, while it was stabled on Marsh Lane, Shepley.
She added: "I'd just got her into the stable and suddenly fireworks went off.
"There were really loud and she just set off round the stable. I just got in a corner and got out of the way. She was terrified. You could see the fear in her eyes."
Mrs Derisley said the 18-hand horse tried to break out of the stable.
She added: "She charged at the door with such force she cracked some concrete in the wall, but the door held.
"That seemed to shake her out of it. I thought I was going to die. Not because she was going to attack me, but because she was in a blind panic."
Computer operator Mrs Derisley, of Upper Cumberworth, said enough was enough for loud fireworks.
She said: "The noise should be reduced. The pretty ones are fine; it's the noisy ones. I'm not one for people stopping enjoying themselves, but I can't see the enjoyment of being deafened."
Fellow horse owner Elaine Parr, of Marsden, said she believed people had forgotten about animals.
She added: "My horse gets very worried when she hears fireworks. One night she got so worried she hurt herself in a panic.
"Fireworks are all year round. Perhaps people would think twice if people wanted compensation for vets' bills etc."
Pensioner Margaret Small, of Meltham Road, Lockwood, said her cat was terrified on New Year's Eve.
She added: "It's the loud, banging fireworks which cause the problem. If you have an animal they are either scared or deaf."