A FAMILY had a lucky escape after a fire broke out in their Newsome home.

Firefighters from Huddersfield said smoke detectors had alerted one youngster to the blaze and they had all got out of the house safely in Close Hill Lane.

The fire started around 10.30pm on Sunday evening while the family were asleep.

Two crews from Huddersfield fought the blaze using two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet.

The fire started when towels were left drying over an upstairs immersion heater.

One bedroom in the house was extensively damaged.

Watch commander Andy Blackburn of Huddersfield fire station said: “Once again smoke detectors alerted the family and ensured they all got out of the house safely.”