A MAN has been arrested in Huddersfield in connection with a grisly double murder.

Detectives from Devon and Cornwall Police made the arrest in town yesterday, assisted by West Yorkshire Police.

Police have not said where in Huddersfield the 25-year-old man was detained.

They arrested him in connection with the deaths of Brett Flournoy and David Griffiths, who went missing in Cornwall last month.

But it is believed the pair were found last Friday, when detectives using cadaver dogs and specialist underground search equipment found human remains and a van full of soil on land at Trenance Downs, north of St Austell.

It is thought the van had been set on fire and then buried on a farm, with at least one body inside.

Det Insp Costa Nassaris said last night: “Earlier today a 25-year-old man was arrested in the Huddersfield area of West Yorkshire on suspicion of murder.

“This man will now be transported to Cornwall for questioning by detectives.

“A post mortem examination has been conducted, but at this stage the bodies haven’t been formally identified. This is expected to take some time.

“The investigation continues to move at a fast pace.

“The families of the missing men have been updated on the progress of the investigation and our thoughts are with them at this terrible time.

“I would also like to thank the public for the assistance they have provided so far.”

Mr Griffiths, originally from Plymouth but living in Bracknell, Berkshire, and Mr Flournoy, a professional boxer from the Wirral, Merseyside, were last seen on Thursday, June 16.

They are known to have arrived in Cornwall at around 7.30pm for what police called a “social visit”.

It is thought the two men, both in their early 30s, were travelling in a white Citroen Berlingo van, registration A10 VVR which had “Tile Style” written in brown on both sides.

Mr Flournoy is known to have picked Mr Griffiths up in the van from the car park on the Plymouth side of the Tamar Bridge, which links Devon and Cornwall, at around 7pm on June 16.

It is thought the men travelled across to Saltash in east Cornwall but were not seen alive again.

Police said last week that, despite having no bodies, they were treating it as a double-murder inquiry.

A link to illegal drugs is one line of inquiry being followed by the team of up to 60 police officers investigating the murders.

Ross Stone, 28, appeared before Bodmin magistrates charged with disposing of a corpse to obstruct a coroner and was remanded in custody to appear at Truro Crown Court on July 22.

Mr Flournoy was a previous ABA champion.

The dad-of-two, known as “Soul Man”, used to run a Merseyside pub in addition to his boxing career.

A champion kickboxer in his teens, Mr Flournoy spent six years in the Royal Engineers, leaving in 2006.