A FAMILY of seven had a lucky escape after their kitchen caught fire.
Huddersfield firefighters were called to the semi-detached house in Kirkstone Avenue, Dalton, on Friday evening.
The blaze started in the kitchen after oil was left on the stove.
Huddersfield Watch Commander Andy Blackburn said: “The mother had been distracted by the children and gone upstairs and forgotten about the oil.
“The fire soon escalated but because they did not have a smoke alarm they were not alerted for some time.”
However he said the family were all accounted for outside the property when they arrived.
He added: “We want to reiterate that smoke alarms save lives.
“We have now fitted two alarms in this property and fortunately no one was injured but this incident could have been dealt with much quicker if the occupiers had been alerted sooner.”
Crews spent an hour at the house and the power was isolated over night due to heat damage.
To arrange a free fire safety check call 01274 682311 or book online at www.westyorksfire.gov.uk/contact#safety-check