Concerns have been raised by Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman after one man died and 14 others had emergency help for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in the last nine months.
Figures shown to Mr Sheerman, – who has campaigned for gas safety checks to be mandatory in homes for many years – revealed 14 homes across Huddersfield warranted emergency gas call outs by Northern Gas Networks so far this year.
Several of the occupants were treated by medics for suffering symptoms suspected to be caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.
In June, as reported in the Examiner, a man died at his home in Brown Royd Avenue, Dalton, from suspected gas or carbon monoxide poisoning. An inquest is yet to take place.
In another incident in Fartown four members of the same family were treated for headaches and severe vomiting after a suspected CO poisoning at their home.
The figures come as Gas Safe Register found that nearly one in five homes (16%) had an unsafe gas appliances in Huddersfield, which could lead to a gas fire, explosion, leak or carbon monoxide poisoning.
A new online map also pinpoints over 4,000 gas emergency call-outs across the region, attended by appropriate gas emergency networks.
The register has been supported by Huddersfield campaigner Stacey Rodgers, the founder of the carbon monoxide awareness charity, Dominic Rodgers Trust, who lost her son to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Stacey’s son Dominic was killed by CO in 2004 after the deadly fumes leaked into his bedroom due to a faulty boiler in their neighbour’s home.
Stacey, who was in Parliament last week with Mr Sheerman for the Gas Safe event, said: “This is the first time people can go on a website and map where there has been engineer reports of CO in their area.
“The figures in Huddersfield are still worrying but when compared to other areas such as Bradford, which has the highest, they could reflect the efforts already carried out in Huddersfield.”
Russell Kramer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “Gas safety is a life or death matter and something that shouldn’t be ignored.
“People are aware of the potential risks of unsafe gas work and they know what they should be doing to keep themselves safe, but as our research has found, not everyone is acting on that information.”
He continued: “Our messages this Gas Safety Week are simple – get your appliances checked every year, sign up for our reminder service and only use a Gas Safe registered engineer. It could save yours and your family’s lives.”
For more information go to: www.staygassafe.co.uk/