PEOPLE from Huddersfield are invited to join a unique celebration of Greenhead Park.
A multi-million pound scheme to restore the Victorian park to its former glory is now well under way.
And with the landscape changing almost every day, the Friends of Greenhead Park want to involve as many people as possible in recording the development.
To make this possible, the group has launched The Big Picture, a major creative project.
Anyone who uses the park is invited to contribute photos, sketches, poems, paintings, prose – or anything else they can think of to capture the transformation or show what the park means to them.
Helen Claydon, chair of the Friends of Greenhead Park said: “Greenhead Park is a much loved place, used in so many different ways by so many people.
“The current work marks a big moment in its history, so we want Huddersfield people to have a chance to be part of that.
“Despite the upheaval, the park is still an exciting place to be and this project allows everyone to respond to what’s going on.”
The £5.4m restoration project, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, aims to restore the park to the way it was when it first opened in 1884.
Work includes the restoration of original features such as the bandstand, Italianate fountain, conservatory and the dramatic reinstatement of the lake.
The Friends group aims to mount a range of exhibitions around the park, as the work unfolds, to share everyone’s responses.
What shape these take will depend on what is sent in, so people need to make sure they take the opportunity to participate in documenting their local history.
To get involved with The Big Picture, send work to: Friends of Greenhead Park, PO Box 1588, Huddersfield, HD1 9PA or email firstname.lastname@example.org, including contact details.
Alternatively bring contributions to a drop-in session at the Information Centre in the park, opposite the bowling green, on Wednesdays from 1.30-3pm.
This Saturday the Friends are holding their annual general meeting at 11am in Greenhead Park training room, near the maintenance compound, at the top park gates.
A short walk will take place at 10am to look at the restoration progress.