Confectionery giant Mars has recalled some of its most popular chocolates in the UK after a piece of plastic was found in one of its products.
And it has a knock-on effect in Huddersfield.
Certain packs of Celebrations, Mars Funsize, Milky Way Funsize and Snickers Miniatures have been pulled from the shelves following an “isolated incident” in Germany, the company said.
In Huddersfield, many shops have taken chocolate bars off their shelves.
A spokesman for Booker’s cash and carry in Huddersfield, which supplies many shops and stores from its Red Doles Lane headquarters, said action had been taken.
“We have received a product recall and took action immediately.
“A number of chocolate products have been taken off the shelves and moved out of the sales area.
“We are now going through checks to decide what is the next step.”
Do you know your chocolate bars? Have a go at our quiz below
In all, 55 countries have been affected by the recall of chocolates made at Mars’ factory in Veghel in the Netherlands.
The Dutch food safety authority posted a Mars press release on its website, which said a piece of plastic had been found in a product that could lead to choking.
Mars UK said it is taking a “precautionary step” and there had been no reports of plastic found in its chocolates in Britain.
The products being recalled in the UK are:
- 250g bags of Mars Funsize, product code AV39F, with a best before date from 11/09/16 to 02/10/16.
- 227g bags of Milky Way Funsize, product code AV39J, with a best before date of 02/10/16.
- Variety Funsize - Family Favourites, product code AV33W, with a best before date from 29/05/16 to 14/08/16.
- Variety Funsize - Party Mix, product code: AV33T, with a best before date from 15/05/16 to 07/08/16.
- 388g boxes of Celebrations, product code AJ46N, with a best before date from 08/05/16 to 28/08/16.
- 245g boxes of Celebrations, product code AJ46R, with a best before date from 08/05/16 to 28/08/16.
- 2.5kg catering cases of Snickers Miniatures, product code YF413, with a best before date of 07/08/16 and 14/08/16.
A Mars spokeswoman said: “This is an isolated incident. No other varieties of chocolate, pack formats or bar sizes are affected in the UK and no other best before dates or products manufactured at any other location are impacted.”
The UK’s Food Standards Agency said Mars had confirmed products which had been recalled in the Netherlands and Germany had been distributed in the UK and it is awaiting full details from the company.