A HUDDERSFIELD woman has been ordered to pay £10,000 in fines and costs after a court case over deadly wiring in a takeaway.
Deeba Hussain was the owner of a takeaway that was dangerously wired up to the next door’s electricity supply.
Manchester magistrates were told the wiring at New Sajan Sweet Centre on Stockport Road in Levenshulme, Manchester, was so dangerous an electrical engineer described it as the worst he had seen in more than 26 years in the industry.
Takeaway owner Hussain, 28, pleaded guilty to one food safety offence and two health and safety offences during a hearing at Manchester Magistrates’ Court.
Hussain, of Blacker Road, Birkby, was fined £1,000 for the food safety offence and £2,000 for each of the health and safety offences along with £4,759 costs, which must be paid within 28 days.
A Manchester City Council officer visited the premises last June and discovered a mouse and cockroach infestation as well as an incorrectly wired electrical cable.
The officer found the takeaway’s electricity supply had been disconnected due to non payment of bills, and the business had connected a cable to the next door’s supply in an extremely dangerous manner.
The City Council brought in a specialist electrical engineer from the Health And Safety Executive who said the way they had done this, using a two plug extension lead, was the worst he had seen in his career.
Other serious electrical defects were found in the premises, including sockets which were hanging off walls and broken socket covers revealing live wires.
The City Council closed the premises until the pest infestation had been dealt with and the premises had been cleaned. They also served a notice on the business ordering the electrical supply was not restored until a proper inspection had taken place and the system was made safe.
Clr Nigel Murphy, Manchester City Council’s Executive Member for the Environment, said: “The wiring at this takeaway was incredibly dangerous.
“Any customers who went in there, as well as members of staff, were at risk of receiving electric shocks, which can be fatal in some cases.
“Hussain was running her business with no concern for her customers, and they should be relieved to learn she is no longer operating this takeaway.”